I would choose not to plug into a machine that would make me continuously happy. If I connected to this machine, I would never be fully satisfied knowing that none of it is real. I would be more satisfied in a world where I can experience true happiness, even if it comes with pain and bad experiences, than in a world with artificial happiness. It is better to see things as they really are, whether they are good or bad. Plugging into the machine is like living in a state of ignorance, with a deprivation of reality.
In the machine you are able to get anything you want to make you happy, which would not teach you that you have to work for the things you want. With the machine, my life would not consist of varying emotion, only happiness. Without pain, I cannot experience true happiness. Also, without going through painful experiences, I cannot really appreciate the good things in life. Experiencing pain and sorrow brings empathy, and without the feeling of empathy people are less likely to help others in a state of pain. When connected to the machine, you become so caught up in your own happiness that you become unaware of the fact that other people are experiencing pain and sadness.
By going through bad experiences and overcoming them, you become much stronger. If I am always truly happy, I will miss out on the opportunity to overcome obstacles and grow stronger as a person. If given the choice, I would choose not to plug into the machine because it is better to live in reality, and see the world for what it truly is, good and bad.
Grade: A-] Why is suffering necessary in order to know happiness? Is it really necessary? I wonder how you would define "true happiness"
ReplyDelete