There are many problems that I would like to address before I die, but one of the most important ones on my list is improving conditions in impoverished areas around the world. I would like to help raise money to buy necessary goods, such as food and materials for homes, for these places. I also hope to take part in service projects in these areas in order to improve the standard of living. This past summer I traveled to Ecuador, where 18 of my classmates and I worked to put down water pipes that would give clean water to an impoverished community. Helping out in this community made me feel accomplished, and has inspired me to do service projects in other poor communities around the world. According to Darwin in his later theory, “helping is essential to life.” This idea supports my goal of improving conditions in impoverished areas and increasing other peoples’ chances of survival. Along with completing service projects, I would also like to help sick animals, especially dogs, before I die. Having owned dogs my whole life, I feel a certain compassion towards them, and I feel a sense of responsibility for them. To help these canines, I hope to volunteer at the MSPCA. More specifically, one of my goals is to promote awareness about animal cruelty and how to put an end to it. In trying to attempt one of my solutions, I volunteered at a local animal shelter. By helping out at the shelter, I felt satisfied that my actions were contributing to the welfare of these dogs. By demonstrating prosocial behavior, specifically by helping out in impoverished communities and animal shelters, I hope to do good in the world before I die.
After keeping a record of the number of times I used the words “thank you” in one day, my grand total came to about 15. Growing up, my parents raised me with values that included saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ in every suitable circumstance. During the course of a week, I tried to double the number of times that I said the words. I found this quite easy, because I was already so accustomed to saying thank you at every opportunity. Increasing the amount of times I said thank you seemed to make others more happy and satisfied with their actions, demonstrating the positive effects of reciprocity. For example, by saying thank you to someone who held the door open for me, he or she usually gave a kind “you’re welcome” or “no problem,” and appeared to be pleased with their action. Saying thank you more often had a positive effect on me because I realized there are some things I take for granted, like being able to cross the street safely with the help of a crossing guard. Recently, when a crossing guard allowed me to cross the street, I said thank you not just because I had to for this exercise, but because I actually appreciated the time this he was taking to make sure my brother and I could safely cross. After saying thank you, the officer smiled, which in turn made me feel better. I now notice all actions that are worth appreciation, and I make sure to share that appreciation. Doing so makes me happier, and by saying the two simple words “thank you,” I can make someone else happier.
Grade: A) Gratitude, giving back to others--all impressive and small ways to make a difference in other people's lives. A sincere "thanks" from me, for helping to make the world a better place, beginning with yourself!
ReplyDelete